Henry St. Pierre was raised on a Vermont farm and went in business for himself all because he got stuck in the mud. Driving his father’s car to and from the village, Henry would spend hours pushing and hauling through the thick mud. He found an answer to this problem by inventing an improved gripping chain for tires. Searching for a location to start his business, St. Pierre decided that Worcester was the place. With its forge shops and stamping companies, Worcester would provide the diversity of industry needed for his business.
Founded in 1920 as the St. Pierre Chain Corporation, the company began as a tire chain making facility. In 1928, St. Pierre purchased a plant owned by Rogers Drop Forging Company and put the drop forge hammers to work forging and added lines of automotive tools, such as pliers, grease bars and tire irons. During World War II, production was devoted to aircraft parts and anchor chain which received the United States Navy “E” for Excellence.
Then Henry, recalling a favorite Vermont sport of pitching horseshoes, decided to make drop forged horseshoes of standard size, shape and weight. His company became the largest producer of pitching horseshoes in the world, and standardized the game with official horseshoes.
Upon the death of Mr. St. Pierre in 1966, St. Pierre Manufacturing Corporation was formed by his sons, Henry and Edward, to carry on the family tradition. Their sister Nanette and brother Richard later joined the business in management capacities. Today, St. Pierre is still the largest manufacturer of pitching horseshoes in the United States. The third generation of St.Pierre’s, Peter and Michael, have joined the management team. The product line includes the “American”, a NHPA approved professional shoe, the “Royal”, an all-purpose official shoe for backyard players, and the all-new “Eagle”, a tournament shoe with larger, 1″ hooks and more weight in the tips for more controlled throwing.
Along with horseshoes and tire chains, St. Pierre also manufactures and distributes industrial chain and slings at its facility on 317 East Mountain Street in Worcester, Massachusetts.